    SubjectRe: Resource Management Requirements (was "[RFC] CPU controllers?")
    On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 12:03:23PM -0700, Chandra Seetharaman wrote:
    > On Sun, 2006-06-18 at 17:28 +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:
    > > OK... let me put it more clearly. What are the requirements?

    At a very broad-level, all the requirements pointed by Chandra below boil down
    to the requirement of providing guaranteed CPU usage for a group of
    tasks and the ability of limiting (hard or soft) CPU usage of other group of

    At a finer-level, this broad requirement could be interpreted and implemented
    in a number of ways (ex: by having kernel support only task-level limit and
    implementing group-level in user-space etc) and thats what this RFC was
    about - to discuss what minimal kernel support would be needed to
    support the above broad requirement!

    > Nick,
    > Here are some requirements we(Resource Groups aka CKRM) are working
    > towards (Note that this is not limited to CPU alone):
    > In a enterprise environment:
    > - Ability to group applications into their importance levels and assign
    > appropriate amount of resources to them.
    > - In case of server consolidation, ability to allocate and control
    > resources to a specific group of applications. Ability to
    > account/charge according to their usages.
    > - manage multiple departments in a single OS instance with ability to
    > allocate and control resources department wise (similar to above
    > requirement :)
    > - ability to guarantee "time to complete" for a specific user
    > request (by controlling resource usage starting from the web server
    > to the database server).
    > - In case of ISPs and ASPs, ability to guarantee/limit usages to
    > independent clients (in a single OS instance).
    > - Ability to control runaway processes from bringing down the system
    > response (DoS attacks, fork bombs etc.,)
    > In a university environment (can be treated as a subset of enterprise
    > requirements above):
    > - Ability to limit resource consumption at individual user level.
    > - Ability to control runaway processes.
    > - Ability for a user to manage resources allocated to them (as
    > explained in the desktop environment below).
    > In a desktop environment:
    > - Ability to control resource usage of a set of applications
    > (ex: infamous updatedb issue).
    > - Ability to run different loads and get the expected result (like
    > checking emails or browsing Internet while compilation is in
    > progress)
    > Generic:
    > Provide these resource management capabilities with less overhead on
    > overall system performance.

      Last update: 2006-06-20 07:43    [W:0.029 / U:143.628 seconds]