    SubjectRe: [patch] increase spinlock-debug looping timeouts (write_lock and NMI)

    Arjan van de Ven wrote:
    > I'm curious what scalability advantage you see for rw spinlocks vs real
    > spinlocks ... since for any kind of moderate hold time the opposite is
    > expected ;)

    It actually surprised me too, but Peter Chubb (who IIRC provided the
    motivation to merge the patch) showed some fairly significant improvement
    at 12-way.

    https://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/archives/scalability/2005-March/000069.html

    Not sure what exactly would be going on at 8-way and above. Single
    threaded lock hold times for find_lock_page should be fairly short... At
    a wild guess, I'd say average lock transfer times are creeping up to the
    point that spin lockers are taking multiple cacheline transfers to obtain
    the lock, and the interconnect is getting saturated (read lockers should
    only need one cacheline transfer in the absense of write lockers).

    I thought Peter had a wider range of test cases than just reaim, but
    perhaps that was for demonstrating some other problem.

    Before that, Bill Irwin made some noises about Oracle improvements with
    their VLM mode... that's not such a simple one to reproduce.

    I'm sure SGI would be mortified too, but that's a given ;)

    --
    SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.