    SubjectRe: [ckrm-tech] [RFC 3/5] sched: Add CPU rate hard caps
    Chandra Seetharaman wrote:
    > On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 14:04 +0530, Balbir Singh wrote:
    >> Hi, Kirill,
    >>> Sure! You can check OpenVZ project ( for example of
    >>> required resource management. BTW, I must agree with other people here
    >>> who noticed that per-process resource management is really useless and
    >>> hard to use :(
    > I totally agree.

    "nice" seems to be doing quite nicely :-)

    To me this capping functionality is a similar functionality to that
    provided by "nice" and all that's needed to make it useful is a command
    (similar to "nice") that runs tasks with caps applied. To that end I've
    written a small script (attached) that does this. As this is something
    that a user might like to combine with "nice" the command has an option
    for setting "nice" as well as caps.

    withcap [options] command [arguments ...]
    withcap -h
    [-c <CPU rate soft cap>]
    [-C <CPU rate hard cap>]
    [-n <nice value>]

    -c Set CPU usage rate soft cap
    -C Set CPU usage rate hard cap
    -n Set nice value
    -h Display this help

    Peter Williams

    -- Ambrose Bierce
    [unhandled content-type:application/x-shellscript]
     \ /
      Last update: 2006-06-02 07:58    [W:0.021 / U:22.888 seconds]