SubjectNewbie questions on the kernel programming
Date
Hi all,

I am learning linux kernel programming starting from "The Linux Kernel
Module Programming Guide"(http://www.faqs.org/docs/kernel/) . I have
background in Windows DDK, but I am confused on the following topics.
Can anyone here give me some hints.

1) MODULE_PARM() macro (http://www.faqs.org/docs/kernel/x350.html)
static short int myshort = 1;
static int myint = 420;
static long int mylong = 9999;
static char *mystring = "blah";
MODULE_PARM (myshort, "h");
MODULE_PARM (myint, "i");
MODULE_PARM (mylong, "l");
MODULE_PARM (mystring, "s");

In the sample code, it is said the MODULE_PARM macro can allow
arguments to be passed to the driver module. But how?

2) Character Device Drivers(http://www.faqs.org/docs/kernel/x571.html)
I can not catch the key points in this section. What should I learn
from the "chardev.c" sample? How can I install the module as a device?
How can I call the functions in the driver?

3) The /proc File System(http://www.faqs.org/docs/kernel/x716.html)
What's the main points in the section. How does the /proc file system
matter linux kernel programming?

Many thanks!

Liang Chen

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans