    SubjectNewbie questions on the kernel programming
    Date
    Hi all,

    I am learning linux kernel programming starting from "The Linux Kernel
    Module Programming Guide"(http://www.faqs.org/docs/kernel/) . I have
    background in Windows DDK, but I am confused on the following topics.
    Can anyone here give me some hints.

    1) MODULE_PARM() macro (http://www.faqs.org/docs/kernel/x350.html)
    static short int myshort = 1;
    static int myint = 420;
    static long int mylong = 9999;
    static char *mystring = "blah";

    MODULE_PARM (myshort, "h");
    MODULE_PARM (myint, "i");
    MODULE_PARM (mylong, "l");
    MODULE_PARM (mystring, "s");

    In the sample code, it is said the MODULE_PARM macro can allow
    arguments to be passed to the driver module. But how?

    2) Character Device Drivers(http://www.faqs.org/docs/kernel/x571.html)
    I can not catch the key points in this section. What should I learn
    from the "chardev.c" sample? How can I install the module as a device?
    How can I call the functions in the driver?

    3) The /proc File System(http://www.faqs.org/docs/kernel/x716.html)
    What's the main points in the section. How does the /proc file system
    matter linux kernel programming?

    Many thanks!

    Liang Chen

      Last update: 2006-06-19 11:32    [W:0.021 / U:118.716 seconds]