    SubjectRe: [RFC] CPU controllers?
    Sam Vilain wrote:
    > Nick Piggin wrote:
    >
    >>> The answer is quite simple, people who are consolidating systems and
    >>> working with fewer, larger systems, want to mark processes, groups of
    >>> processes or entire containers into CPU scheduling classes, then
    >>> either fair balance between them, limit them or reserve them a
    >>> portion of the CPU - depending on the user and what their
    >>> requirements are. What is unclear about that?
    >>>

    >> It is unclear whether we should have hard limits, or just nice like
    >> priority levels. Whether virtualisation (+/- containers) could be a
    >> good solution, etc.
    >

    > Look, that was actually answered in the paragraph you're responding to.
    > Once again, give me a set of possible requirements and I'll find you a
    > set of users that have them. I am finding this sub-thread quite redundant.

    Clearly we can't stuff everything into the kernel. What I'm asking is
    what the important functionality is that people want to cover. I don't
    know how you could possibly interpret it as anything else.

    >> If you want to *completely* isolate N groups of users, surely you
    >> have to use virtualisation, unless you are willing to isolate memory
    >> management, pagecache, slab caches, network and disk IO, etc.
    >

    > No, you have to use separate hardware. Try to claim otherwise and you're
    > glossing over the corner cases.

    Well, virtualisation seems like it would get you a lot further than
    containers for the same amount of work.

    --
    SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.