    SubjectRe: Linux v2.6.17
    On Sat, Jun 17, 2006 at 07:06:17PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On Sat, 17 Jun 2006, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > >
    > > Not a lot of changes since the last -rc, the bulk is actually some
    > > last-minute MIPS updates and s390 futex changes, the rest tend to be
    > > various very small fixes that trickled in over the last week.
    >
    > Btw, one thing that I was planning to ask people - does anybody find the
    > full-format ChangeLog's that I produce at all useful?
    >
    > You can get the exact same information directly from git, and the full
    > changelog (as opposed to the shortlog) tends to be pretty rough to read,
    > so I suspect that most people who do want to delve into the details are
    > actually much more likely to look it up using git instead (at which point
    > you can obviously get much better information - graphical history, diffs,
    > etc)
    >
    > I'm not going to stop doing the incremental shortlogs, since those are
    > easy to read and I usually post them with the release announcement unless
    > they end up being too large (usually -rc1 has a _lot_ of changes as a
    > result of the merge window), but I'm just wondering if anybody finds the
    > full logs useful at all?
    >
    > They're easy for me to generate, but if nobody uses them, I don't see much
    > of a point..

    I like to read the shortlog for getting an overview of the changes
    containing a bit more detail than your verbal summary at the top.

    I need git for getting more detail and I could generate them myself. But
    if it wasn't there, I might not generate it myself, and might therefore
    not ask "Why did this patch get into -rc6?" or become curious enough for
    using git to check the contents of a commit.

    > Linus

    cu
    Adrian

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.