    SubjectRe: Network performance degradation from to
    On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 09:01:23 -0700
    Harry Edmon <> wrote:

    > I have a system with a strange network performance degradation from
    > to most recent kernels including and 2.6.17-rc6.
    > The system is has Dual single core Xeons with hyperthreading on. The
    > application is the LDM system from UCAR/Unidata
    > ( This system requests
    > weather data from a variety of systems using RPC calls over a reserved
    > TCP port (388), puts them into a memory mapped queue file, and then
    > sends the data out to a variety of downstream requesting systems, again
    > using RPC calls. When the load is heavy, the kernel falls way
    > behind with the data ingestion. The kernel does not. I have
    > tried an experiment with a 2.6.17-rc6 system where it just does the
    > ingestion, and not the downstream distribution, and it is able to keep
    > up. I would really appreciate any pointers as to where the problem may
    > be and how to diagnose it. I have attached the config files from both
    > kernels and the sysctl.conf file I am using. I have also included the
    > output from "netstat -s" on the system during a time when it
    > was having problems.

    (added netdev)

    A quick grep indicates that it isn't using TCP_NODELAY - we've had problems
    with that in the past.

    Perhaps a tcpdump of the net traffic will help to determine what's going on.

      Last update: 2006-06-18 00:37    [W:0.022 / U:4.992 seconds]