    SubjectRe: cdrom support with thinkpad x6 ultrabay

    Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
    > George Nychis wrote:
    >> I am looking for support somewhere in the kernel for my thinkpad x6
    >> ultrabay's cdrom drive. Whenever I attach the ultrabay it picks up the
    >> extra usb ports, seems to pick up the ethernet port, but it fails to
    >> pick up anything about the dvd/cd-writer. Nothing shows up in dmesg
    >> about the drive at all... anyone know what I might need in the kernel?
    >> I am using 2.6.17-rc6
    > -mm has some support for the dock, but there isn't support for hot
    > add/remove of the optical device yet. I think that's waiting on some
    > support in libata, but I'm not exactly sure what's needed.
    > At the moment, you either get the dock optical if you boot the machine
    > in the dock, and you can never eject the dock, or you get no optical and
    > eject works fine.

    Thanks for the responses Jeremy and Randy.

    I tried taking the acpi dock patch seperately out of the mm patchset by
    applying this patch:

    it successfully is applied, and i notice that CONFIG_ACPI_DOCK needs to
    be set, so I did a "make oldconfig" after applying the patch, expecting
    it to ask me whether or not i wanted to support it... it didn't. So
    then I manually added "CONFIG_ACPI_DOCK=y" to the .config and built the
    kernel, but dock.o is never built... what else do i need to do?

    If i can't get hot swappable support yet, I might as well get what is
    supported for now so I can atleast use it sometimes :)

    Maybe this cry for help will spark someone to finish off the work on hot
    swapping the optical drive.

      Last update: 2006-06-15 09:27    [W:0.025 / U:30.640 seconds]