    SubjectRe: [RFC] the /proc/filecache interface
    Hi Bernard,

    On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 11:38:37PM +0800, Bernard Blackham wrote:
    > I haven't been following this closely, so I apologise if I'm out of
    > my depth. It would be a useful add-on to be able to use this
    > interface to force something _out_ of the page cache also. For
    > example, for performance tests, or selectively ditching pages before
    > software suspending.

    Sure we can add more related commands into it.

    For example, the functions in fs/drop_caches.c are well suited for
    this interface. The current sysctl interface is a quick hacking:

    /* A global variable is a bit ugly, but it keeps the code simple */
    int sysctl_drop_caches;

    The following scheme may be more reasonable:

    # echo -n "drop files" > /proc/filecache
    # echo -n "drop slabs" > /proc/filecache

    As for the "selectively ditching pages" function, my original scheme
    is to
    - query /proc/filecache to answer the question of "which pages
    are cached, and their status(referenced/active etc.)"
    - run "fadvise filename page-offset pages" to ditch pages
    Do you think it as convenient?

      Last update: 2006-06-15 02:42    [W:0.051 / U:12.248 seconds]