    SubjectRe: [Ext2-devel] [RFC 0/13] extents and 48bit ext3
    On 6/14/06, Pavel Machek <> wrote:
    > Passes 8 hours of me trying to intentionally break it with weird,
    > artifical disk corruption.
    > I even have script somewhere.

    Ok, thanks for clarifying.

    > > Unless I'm misunderstanding something, JFS also has a
    > > working fsck
    > > (which has actually performed successful repair of
    > > real-world
    > > filesystem corruption for me, although I haven't used it
    > > as much as
    > > e2fsck or xfs_repair).
    >, if it repaired 100 different, non-trivial corruptions, that
    > would be argument.

    In the case of XFS, I've repaired maybe two dozen (or so) corruptions
    that might be non-trivial (in most of the cases, the filesystem
    wouldn't even mount before the repair).

    > fsck.ext2 survives my torture (in some versions). fsck.vfat never
    > worked for me (likes to segfault), fsck.reiser never worked for me.

    BTW, I actually have a test filesystem here (an e2image from an actual
    filesystem I encountered once) that used to cause e2fsck 1.36/1.37 to
    segfault. Strangely, more ancient versions (like what ships in Red Hat
    7.2) were able to repair it without segfaulting. In a few days, once
    other stuff calms down for me, I need to revisit that and see if the
    bug still exists with 1.39.
    -Barry K. Nathan <>

      Last update: 2006-06-15 02:31    [W:0.022 / U:3.920 seconds]