    SubjectRe: VGER does gradual SPF activation (FAQ matter)
    On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 14:49 +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:
    > Separating tasks into distinct processes, to prevent rampant list
    > drivers from messing with the MTA and vice versa.

    We're talking about _one_ task; receiving mail to one address, and
    delivering it to other addresses. That's what the MTA _does_ -- all it
    needs from the mailing list side is the list of recipients.

    I wouldn't want to put all the bounce processing &c into the MTA, but
    basic handling of list traffic does make a certain amount of sense. In
    expanding a simple list, there isn't much scope for 'rampant list
    drivers' to screw anything up.

    > I'm also not convinced greylisting is a "solution". Once it catches on,
    > spammers will retry. They control enough drones where smashing out
    > successful deliveries from their address list and retrying them will
    > work for them.

    You may be right. But still, it keeps us ahead of the game and it's very
    effective right now -- partly because lots of people still _aren't_
    using it. It does require a modicum of clue to implement.

    I think it'll be a long time before greylisting is no longer beneficial,
    if it ever does happen.

      Last update: 2006-06-13 15:12    [W:0.021 / U:8.944 seconds]