    SubjectRE: VGER does gradual SPF activation (FAQ matter)
    Date
    So get a better ISP than cox.net.

    -----Original Message-----
    From: linux-kernel-owner@vger.kernel.org
    [mailto:linux-kernel-owner@vger.kernel.org] On Behalf Of Kyle Moffett
    Sent: Monday, June 12, 2006 6:42 AM
    To: Bernd Petrovitsch
    Cc: David Schwartz; LKML Kernel; jdow
    Subject: Re: VGER does gradual SPF activation (FAQ matter)

    On Jun 12, 2006, at 04:18:06, Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:
    > No. SPF simply defines legitimate outgoing MTAs for a given domain.

    I'm sorry, but the internet just doesn't work that way. I have 3 email
    accounts (mac.com, vt.edu, and cox.net). Both my college and my house deny
    all SMTP to anyone but their local servers. If mac.com published an SPF
    filter and VGER used the SPF filter, I would have no way at all to send mail
    via this account, simply for the reason that neither of my local ISPs will
    allow my to directly send email to mac.com. Likewise for my vt.edu account
    while at home or my cox.net account while at college.

    IMHO, turning on SPF will not gain anything for the LKML; a bayesian filter
    based solution would be much more tenable.

    Cheers,
    Kyle Moffett

    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at

      Last update: 2006-06-14 01:35    [W:0.021 / U:60.344 seconds]