    SubjectRe: 2.6.17: networking bug??
    Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On Tue, 13 Jun 2006, John Heffner wrote:
    >> The best thing you can do is try to find this broken box and inform its owner
    >> that it needs to be fixed. (If you can find out what it is, I'd be interested
    >> to know.) In the meantime, disabling window scaling will work around the
    >> problem for you.
    >
    > Well, arguably, we shouldn't necessarily have defaults that use window
    > scaling, or we should have ways to recognize automatically when it
    > doesn't work (which may not be possible).
    >
    > It's not like there aren't broken boxes out there, and it might be better
    > to make the default buffer sizes just be low enough that window scaling
    > simply isn't an issue.
    >
    > I suspect that the people who really want/need window scaling know about
    > it, and could be assumed to know enough to raise their limits, no?

    Agreed. It's taken me over a month here to realize that the particular
    webserver in question (www.everymac.com) wasn't "dead", but merely being
    blocked by my 2.6.17 kernel. All was fine with 2.6.16, as I discovered today.

    I wonder how many other "dead sites" there are out there,
    that will be shut off from people when they "upgrade" to 2.6.17 ?

    I'm a kernel hacker. Most users of 2.6.17 will not be.
    The default should be something that works "by default".

    Cheers

      Last update: 2006-06-13 20:28    [W:0.021 / U:35.888 seconds]