SubjectRe: 2.6.17: networking bug??
Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jun 2006, John Heffner wrote:
>> The best thing you can do is try to find this broken box and inform its owner
>> that it needs to be fixed. (If you can find out what it is, I'd be interested
>> to know.) In the meantime, disabling window scaling will work around the
>> problem for you.
>
> Well, arguably, we shouldn't necessarily have defaults that use window
> scaling, or we should have ways to recognize automatically when it
> doesn't work (which may not be possible).
>
> It's not like there aren't broken boxes out there, and it might be better
> to make the default buffer sizes just be low enough that window scaling
> simply isn't an issue.
>
> I suspect that the people who really want/need window scaling know about
> it, and could be assumed to know enough to raise their limits, no?

Agreed. It's taken me over a month here to realize that the particular
webserver in question (www.everymac.com) wasn't "dead", but merely being
blocked by my 2.6.17 kernel. All was fine with 2.6.16, as I discovered today.

I wonder how many other "dead sites" there are out there,
that will be shut off from people when they "upgrade" to 2.6.17 ?

I'm a kernel hacker. Most users of 2.6.17 will not be.
The default should be something that works "by default".

Cheers

  Last update: 2006-06-13 20:28    [W:0.168 / U:0.140 seconds]