    SubjectRe: [Ext2-devel] [RFC 0/13] extents and 48bit ext3

    Ted> On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 12:55:09PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    >> 1) clone a new tree 2) cp -a fs/ext3 fs/ext4 3) apply extent and
    >> 48bit patches 4) apply related e2fsprogs patches
    >>
    >> Then update ext4 step-by-step, using the normal Linux development
    >> process.

    Ted> We don't do this with the SCSI layer where we make a complete
    Ted> clone of the driver layer so that there is a
    Ted> /usr/src/linux/driver/scsi and /usr/src/linux/driver/scsi2, do
    Ted> we? And we didn't do that with the networking layer either, as
    Ted> we added ipsec, ipv6, softnet, and a whole host of other changes
    Ted> and improvements.

    Maybe it's just me, but I am reading oranges vs apples there. The SCSI
    comparison is like suggesting we go from the VFS to a VFS2 or fs/ ->
    fs2/ for this. On the other hand going from ext3 -> ext4 to get
    something incompatible (like enabling extends or 48 bit) is similar to
    going net/ipv4 -> net/ipv6, which we did do indeed.

    Fact of the matter is that 2.4 is dead or at least frozen solid by
    now. The userland of most distros today wouldn't be able to boot with
    a 2.4 kernel anyway.

    Granted I am not a filesystem expert, but personally I would feel more
    comfortable deciding to put my data on an ext4 file system knowing
    that it was just that, rather than a hybrid.

    Jes

      Last update: 2006-06-12 11:00    [W:0.020 / U:121.620 seconds]