    SubjectRe: VGER does gradual SPF activation (FAQ matter)
    On Sat, 2006-06-10 at 19:24 -0700, marty fouts wrote:
    > Further, while there is an RFC for SPF, it is an RFC for an
    > experimental protocol. In addition to what David points out in his web
    > site, SPF is controversial, and is in competition with other
    > approaches. (See RFC 4408.)

    Not really:

    > It's not widely deployed.

    However "widely deployed" is defined.
    It is more widely deployed than any remotely similar proposed mechanism
    (including and especially SenderId - which addresses actually another

    > It doesn't work.

    It works if it is used correctly (as any tool in the world).
    The "problem" is that postmasters on the Net must do something (namely
    1) define if they want to allow others to detect forged emails claimed
    to come from their domain and 2) - if yes to 1) - to get appropriate SPF
    records into DNS) and people must either use a "good" mail relay (and
    not just the one next door) or convince postmasters to change the SPF

    > It'll break standard-abiding email.

    As you see, standards change.

    > Do you really want that?

    Yes. Especially should do such a thing - there is such a lot
    of - presumbly forged - mails in my mailboxes that
    blacklisting the whole domain causes probably more good than bad (for
    me, of course).

    Firmix Software GmbH
    mobil: +43 664 4416156 fax: +43 1 7890849-55
    Embedded Linux Development and Services

      Last update: 2006-06-12 10:34    [W:0.021 / U:0.376 seconds]