SubjectRe: VGER does gradual SPF activation (FAQ matter)
Matthias Andree wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jun 2006, Matti Aarnio wrote:
> SPF is a non-starter.
>
> Perhaps you should consider having filters look at the *content* of
> messages. Does it fit how common messages look on vger lists? Or does it
> look like the usual spam? bogofilter can to it. qsf can do it. spamprobe
> can do it. crm114 can do it. Some of these (bogofilter for instance)
> can ascertain how much it's spam, how much it's wanted, or if it's
> undecided.

This is a great point; spam on linux-kernel, of all places, is notable
by what it looks like. Subject headers don't look right, and the
content bears very little resemblance to l-k ham. Maybe hand-filtering
is catching the stuff that appears adapted to spoof legitimate kernel
mail, but if so, it has a great track record. Spammers don't seem to be
targeting linux-kernel patterns. Heck, I can train thunderbird to
filter spam correctly by content for linux-kernel. Bayesian works well.
Since it runs through Yahoo first, I often have to fight Yahoo for my
legitimate email; that may change my mileage. However, the other
notable characteristic is the fact that this list ignores spam. If it
has a reply, it may be a flame, it may be a troll, but it hasn't ever
been spam in my experience.

Why pursue brokenness unless it's your last resort? You can break a lot
of eggs without making anything edible, let alone an omelette.

Matt

  Last update: 2006-06-12 19:30    [W:0.619 / U:0.136 seconds]