    SubjectRe: 2.6.16-rc6-mm2
    Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> writes:

    > * Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> wrote:
    >

    > > * Christoph Lameter <clameter@sgi.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Sorry that patch was still against mm1. Here is a fixed up version
    > > > that applies cleanly against mm2:
    > >
    > > i have applied both patches you sent in this thread but it still
    > > triggers tons of messages:
    >
    > > trying to fix it i realized that i'd have to touch tons of
    > > architectures, which all duplicate this piece of code:
    >
    > below is an updated patch that includes fixups for i386 - but the real
    > fix should be to properly reduce the per-arch local.h footprint to the
    > bare minimum possible, and to do this fix on the asm-generic headers.

    I think an even better approach would be to use local_save_flags() /
    local_restore_flags () and then use a normal increment and get
    rid of smp_processor_id completely.

    I've never seen any evidence that the complex and bloated code generated by
    this is any better that just enabling/disabling interrupts.

    In the x86 world P4 has costly cli/sti, but I wouldn't expect
    that problem to be very widespread.

    -Andi

      Last update: 2006-06-12 14:18    [W:0.023 / U:154.668 seconds]