    SubjectRe: OpenGL-based framebuffer concepts
    On Friday 02 June 2006 02:58, Jon Smirl wrote:
    > On 6/1/06, D. Hazelton <> wrote:
    > > VT switch to a VT where X is running. X will still require a VT and
    > > assume it has good access to the graphics system. While currently it has
    > > no problems, when drmcon becomes a reality there will have to be a state
    > > switch between the consoles settings and the setting for the VT running
    > > X.

    > > > I'm not sure we want to continue supporting every X server released in
    > > > the last 25 years. But we should definitely support any X server
    > > > released in a 2.6 based kernel distribution. What are reasonable
    > > > limits?
    > >
    > > This is not a supportable position, Jon. I haven't seen it myself, but
    > > I'm willing to bet there are still a few systems out there running X5 but
    > > have a recent kernel. Since X version prior to 6 are no longer in wide
    > > use, however, this is something that could be done with little damage to
    > > anyone.
    > >
    > > But it still breaks the spirit of Linus' directive to "break nothing"
    > I don't know if break nothing applies to operating systems
    > masquerading as applications. "Break nothing" works both ways. Old X
    > servers are doing things like messing with the PCI bus that breaks new
    > kernels.
    > Use some common sense here, who would update to a 2006 kernel and keep
    > running an X server from 1989? Pick a reasonable limit and say the
    > rest are unsupported. Why make a pile of work for yourself that no
    > sane person is ever going to make use of.
    > Remember, an X server from 1989 only contains drivers for hardware
    > from 1989 and earlier. Can 2.6 Linux boot on a 1989 PC with an 8514
    > graphics card? Does it support running in 640K with an AboveBoard?
    > Does anyone even remember what an AboveBoard did?

    Okay, okay. Point taken. And note that I did state that X versions prior to 6
    (hell, AFAIK, prior to 6.5) aren't in any widespread use. And the Elks
    version of Linux could run a 1989 system. Not that I think these changes will
    make it into Elks, but...

      Last update: 2006-06-02 05:04    [W:0.022 / U:0.552 seconds]