SubjectRe: [git patch] libata resume fix
Jens Axboe wrote:

>On Wed, May 31 2006, Robert Hancock wrote:
>

>>Bill Davidsen wrote:
>>

>>>The trade-off is that if I have a 15k rpm SCSI drive, it would take a
>>>lot of design changes to make it spin up quickly, and improve a function
>>>which is usually done on a server once every MTBF when replacing the
>>>failed unit.
>>>
>>>I think the majority of very large or very fast drives are in systems
>>>which don't (deliberately) power cycles often, in rooms where heat is an
>>>issue. And to spin up quickly take a larger power supply... 30 sec is
>>>fine with most users.
>>>
>>>Couldn't find a spin-up time for the new Seagate 750GB drive, but the
>>>seek sure is fast!
>>>

>>I wouldn't guess that even a 15K drive would take nearly that long. For
>>boot time on servers it doesn't matter much though, disk spinup time is
>>

>I do use a 15K rpm drive in my workstation (hello git!), and the spin up
>really isn't that bad. Less than 10 seconds for the actual spin up, I
>would say.

Sounds about right, but clearly longer than the 2 sec mentioned early in
this thread. I think a long delay is okay as long as it gets stopped
when the drive does come ready.

>>in the noise compared to the insane BIOS delays on most of them during
>>bootup. Like on some servers (ahem.. IBM) which have about a 15 second
>>delay on the main BIOS screen, 10 second delays on every network boot
>>ROM, a 1 minute delay on the SCSI controller before it even starts
>>scanning the bus, then another good 10 seconds before it starts booting.
>>Gets annoying after a few reboots..
>>

>Indeed, the BIOS bootup time on servers is typically anywhere from
>really bad to truly awful.

I try *very* hard not to do bootup on servers, the paperwork involved
with an outage takes longer than the boot time ;-)

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc