    SubjectRe: USB devices fail unnecessarily on unpowered hubs
    On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 10:58:43 -0400 (EDT)
    Alan Stern <> wrote:

    > As an alternative, we could allow an "over-budget window" of say 10%.

    That, plus we should provide a suitable i-know-what-im-doing user override,
    with the appropriate warnings, as well as a printk which directs users to
    this option when we decided to disable their device.

    > Configurations that exceed the power budget by less than that amount would
    > still be accepted. I don't know whether this would be enough of a help,
    > however. I've heard of devices that claim to require 200 mA, for
    > instance. It just doesn't seem right to enable them when the upstream hub
    > can only provide 100 mA.

    The power supply spec is a conservative minimum, whereas the device spec is
    a worst-case maximum. One would expect a lot of devices will work OK when
    run "out of spec".

    (Goes away and pats all his 240V plugpacks which are happily working off 110V).

      Last update: 2006-06-01 18:57    [W:0.019 / U:12.968 seconds]