SubjectRe: USB devices fail unnecessarily on unpowered hubs
Andrew Morton wrote:
> (added linux-usb cc)
>
> Yes, it sounds like we're being non-real-worldly here. This change
> apparently broke things. Did it actually fix anything as well?

Gentoo recieved several reports of this. It appears that certain vendors
are worse than others (Verbatim flash drives are a common culprit).

Some users tested and found that Windows has the same behaviour - it
rejects these devices on unpowered hubs, and pops up a warning that not
enough power is available.

I added a printk to point out when configurations are rejected due to
power issues, this has been merged into Greg's tree. It's far from
ideal, but better than silent failure...

Daniel