    SubjectRe: High load average on disk I/O on 2.6.17-rc3
    Date
    Hi Andrew,

    I see, so it sounds as though the load average is not telling the true load of
    the machine. However, it still feels that it's consuming quite a bit of
    resources. The machine is almost unresponsive if I were to start two or
    three copies at the same time.

    I noticed the behavior initially when I installed vmware server: I started one
    of the vm's booting and was copying another in the background (about a 12GB
    directory). The booting VM would started getting slower and slower and
    eventually just hung. It wasn't locked up, just seemed like it was "paused."
    When I tried an "ls" in another window, it just hung. I then tried to ssh
    into the server to open another window and I couldn't even get an ssh prompt.
    I had to eventually Ctrl-C the copy and wait for it to be done before I could
    do anything. And the load average had skyrocketed, but the consensus here is
    definitely that it's not the true load average of the system.

    Possibly should I revert back to an older kernel? 2.6.12 or 2.6.10 maybe? Do
    you know when abouts the I/O was changed?

    I can certainly help debug this issue if you (or someone else) has the time to
    look into it and fix it. Otherwise I will just revert back and hope that it
    will get fixed in the future.

    Thanks,
    Jason