SubjectRe: Linux Kernel Source Compression
Alistair John Strachan wrote:

> It's a bit of a shame bzip2 even exists, really. It really would be better if
> there was one unified, pluggable archiver on UNIX (and portables).

All the people with slow connections bless bzip2. If you or someone want
a new compressor, write a program for it, call it something unique so
people will know it's different, and be happy.

Even with a fast line, I can only pull as fast as the source can push,
so smaller is better for all of us. The time to decompress a tar.bz2 and
tar.gz are very similar, the CPU for bzip2 is about double, and the time
to create the directories and write the files is the same in either case.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
Obscure bug of 2004: BASH BUFFER OVERFLOW - if bash is being run by a