    SubjectRe: 2.6.17-rc5-mm1
    Hi,

    On Thu, 1 Jun 2006, Ingo Molnar wrote:

    > on one side, the -mm kernel is about showcasing new code and finding
    > bugs in them as fast as possible. Having new debugging options enabled
    > by default is an important part of the testing effort. Users will care
    > more about having no crashes than about having 0.5% more performance in
    > select benchmarks.
    >
    > on the other side, you obviously dont want a 0.5% overhead for select
    > benchmarks, as that would mess up the history! A very fair and valid
    > position too.
    >
    > but one side has to give, we cant have both.

    As I mentioned before, please keep these defaults as a -mm-only patch,
    Giving them testing in -mm is fine, but defaults are already way too much
    abused as is. The default rule should be to enable an option explicitly,
    if it's needed, it should not be auto-enabled, because its author likes
    it so much. Using a "default y" should be close to hiding the option via
    CONFIG_EMBEDDED or some other option and the default should not differ
    between hidden and visible state, e.g.:

    config FOO
    bool "foo" if BAR
    default y