    SubjectRe: [v4l-dvb-maintainer] Re: Stradis driver conflicts with all other SAA7146 drivers
    Hi,

    on 29.05.2006 15:33 Mauro Carvalho Chehab said the following:
    > On bttv and other boards, were we have such conflicts, we have an option
    > to specify what board is used (called card). When the driver locates a
    > board without PCI subvendor ID, it shows a help msg at dmesg and exits
    > (or load a generic handler). The user may then use card=xx (where xx is
    > the number of the board). IMHO, this is the better for saa7146 boards.

    bttv is a monolithic driver for all devices using Bt8x8 chipsets,
    whereas saa7146 and saa7146_vv only hold the core infrastructure that is
    common for all saa7146 cards.

    saa7146 does not know anything about a card, but the so-called extension
    driver (like mxb, hexium_orion or dpc7146) does. It holds the PCI IDs
    and is responsible for telling the system what card it supports and do
    any probing if necessary.

    I don't know where to put the card=xx parameter in that case, because
    the hexium_orion does not know mxb nor dpc7146. 8-(

    Since these cards don't have subvendor/subdevice IDs, it's impossible to
    find out which card is in the system.

    CU
    Michael.

      Last update: 2006-05-29 15:47    [W:0.034 / U:94.432 seconds]