    SubjectRe: Asus K8N-VM Motherboard Ethernet Problem
    Date
    On Sunday 28 May 2006 18:54, Alistair John Strachan wrote:
    > On Sunday 28 May 2006 06:11, Marc Perkel wrote:
    > > Is there a problem with the forcedeth driver not being compatible with
    > > the Asus K8N-VM motherboard? I installed Fedora Core 5 and the Ethernet
    > > doesn't want to work. I installed the latest FC5 kernel which is some
    > > flavor og 2.6.16 and it still doesn't work. The FC4 CD and rescue disk
    > > don't work either. Windows XP however does work so I know that hardware
    > > is good.
    > >
    > > lspci says the hardware is an nVidia MCP51 ethernet controller. What am
    > > I missing?
    >
    > A decent bug report. Please go to http://bugzilla.kernel.org/ and publish
    > your lspci, /proc/interrupts and dmesg and if you're sure it's forcedeth,
    > put the maintainer on CC.

    Five minutes of research and I found this:

    http://www.asus.com.tw/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=952&l1=3&l2=14&l3=245

    It indicates that the board, although using an nForce 410 chipset, does NOT
    use NVIDIA ethernet, but (quote) "Relatek RTL8201CL external PHY"; you're
    probably trying the wrong driver and this is the source of the problem.

    This info could be wrong, but I thought it might help.

    --
    Cheers,
    Alistair.

    Third year Computer Science undergraduate.