SubjectRe: Asus K8N-VM Motherboard Ethernet Problem
Date
On Sunday 28 May 2006 18:54, Alistair John Strachan wrote:
> On Sunday 28 May 2006 06:11, Marc Perkel wrote:
> > Is there a problem with the forcedeth driver not being compatible with
> > the Asus K8N-VM motherboard? I installed Fedora Core 5 and the Ethernet
> > doesn't want to work. I installed the latest FC5 kernel which is some
> > flavor og 2.6.16 and it still doesn't work. The FC4 CD and rescue disk
> > don't work either. Windows XP however does work so I know that hardware
> > is good.
> >
> > lspci says the hardware is an nVidia MCP51 ethernet controller. What am
> > I missing?
>
> A decent bug report. Please go to http://bugzilla.kernel.org/ and publish
> your lspci, /proc/interrupts and dmesg and if you're sure it's forcedeth,
> put the maintainer on CC.

Five minutes of research and I found this:

http://www.asus.com.tw/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=952&l1=3&l2=14&l3=245

It indicates that the board, although using an nForce 410 chipset, does NOT
use NVIDIA ethernet, but (quote) "Relatek RTL8201CL external PHY"; you're
probably trying the wrong driver and this is the source of the problem.

This info could be wrong, but I thought it might help.

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

Third year Computer Science undergraduate.