SubjectRe: Stradis driver conflicts with all other SAA7146 drivers
Em Dom, 2006-05-28 às 14:52 +0159, Jiri Slaby escreveu:

> > For anyone submitting a new SAA7146 driver to the kernel in the
> > future, please be aware that your card isn't the only one that uses
> > that chip, so always add a subvendor/subdevice to your drivers.
The better is to use the existent driver instead of creating newer
ones.
> The only difference is in order of searching for devices. Stradis now gets
> control before your "real" driver. Kick stradis from your config or blacklist
> it.
This sucks. Distros should compile all drivers to support as much
hardware as possible. For now, it is better to implement Christer
suggestions.
> Or, why you ever load module, you don't want to use?
There's no safe way to make a driver to get control after the others, if
both are modules, so the option is to use the saa7146 driver instead of
stradis.
> There is no change in searching devices, it didn't check for subvendors before
> not even now. If Nathan knows, there are some subvendor/subdevices ids, which we
> should compare to, then yes, we can change the behaviour, otherwise, I am
> afraid, we can't. It's vendors' problem, that they don't use this pci registers
> (and it's evil) -- i think, that stradis cards have that two zeroed.
This is, in fact, a trouble on several video capture boards. A real
merge work should be done by migrating stradis to use the generic
support for SAA7146. Then, having just one board, those conflicts won't
happen.

> regards,
> - --
> Jiri Slaby www.fi.muni.cz/~xslaby

Cheers,
Mauro.

  Last update: 2006-05-28 16:08    [W:1.631 / U:0.012 seconds]