    SubjectRe: [RFC]disable msi mode in pci_disable_device
    Shaohua Li <> wrote:
    > Brice said the pci_save_msi_state breaks his driver in his special usage
    > (not in suspend/resume), as pci_save_msi_state will disable msi mode.

    That sounds wrong of pci_save_msi_state(). It's supposed to save the
    state, not to go fiddling with it.

    > In
    > his usage, pci_save_state will be called at runtime, and later (after
    > the device operates for some time and has an error) pci_restore_state
    > will be called.

    Is that a sane thing for a driver to be doing? (Not relevant to this issue

    > In another hand, suspend/resume needs disable msi mode, as device should
    > stop working completely. This patch try to workaround this issue.
    > Drivers are expected call pci_disable_device in suspend time after
    > pci_save_state.

    Surely the drivers should be calling pci_disable_msix() or something after
    saving the state rather than relying upon magical side-effects of
    pci_save_msi_state(). Or we do disable_msi_mode() or whatever in

      Last update: 2006-05-26 21:54    [W:0.021 / U:10.256 seconds]