SubjectRe: uclinux 2.4.32 panic
On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 05:24:33PM -0400, Steve Clark wrote:
(...)

> >>Trace; 0090e3a0 <memcpy+0/0>
> >>Trace; 008727cc <rs_write+148/294>

> >>Trace; 00872684 <rs_write+0/294>
(...)

> The hardware is the ActionTec DualPC Modem it has a conexant cx82100
> arm processor.
> I can reproduce it at will by connecting to the internet and running
> nttcp thru it at the same time
> I am scping file both ways from and to, and then finally starting a
> getty on /dev/ttyS0, the modem is
> at ttyS1 and also ttyS0 is where all the kernel printk messages come out.
>
> When I start the getty if I have all the other traffic going it
> usually will panic in under a minute. IF I don't
> have the getty running it will run for hours and not panic.
>

> 2.4.32-uc0 with patches from
> http://www.bettina-attack.de/jonny/view.php/projects/uclinux_on_cx82100/

Well, at least the cnxtserial.c file looks suspicious to me :

static int rs_write(struct tty_struct * tty, int from_user,
const unsigned char *buf, int count)
{
int c, total = 0;
unsigned long flags;
struct cnxt_serial *info = (struct cnxt_serial *)tty->driver_data;
^^^^^

if (serial_paranoia_check(info,tty->device, "rs_write"))
^^^^^
return 0;

if (!tty || !info->xmit_buf)
return 0;

=> tty already referenced twice before the check. Either the check is
useless, or the person who wrote it had a good reason for it which
was not considered when writing the two lines above. I would suggest
to start from something like this :

static int rs_write(struct tty_struct * tty, int from_user,
const unsigned char *buf, int count)
{
int c, total = 0;
unsigned long flags;
struct cnxt_serial *info;

if (!tty)
return 0;

info = (struct cnxt_serial *)tty->driver_data;
if (serial_paranoia_check(info, tty->device, "rs_write"))
return 0;

if (!info->xmit_buf)
return 0;

Further :

c = MIN(count, MIN(SERIAL_XMIT_SIZE - info->xmit_cnt - 1,
SERIAL_XMIT_SIZE - info->xmit_head));
if (c <= 0)
break;

=> info->xmit_cnt and info->xmit_head are signed ints. If you encounter
memory corruption (eg: during your ethernet transfers) and those get
negative, nothing prevents the buffer from being overwritten past the
end.

Further :

if (from_user) {
down(&tmp_buf_sem);
copy_from_user(tmp_buf, buf, c);
c = MIN(c, MIN(SERIAL_XMIT_SIZE - info->xmit_cnt - 1,
SERIAL_XMIT_SIZE - info->xmit_head));
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
memcpy(info->xmit_buf + info->xmit_head, tmp_buf, c);
up(&tmp_buf_sem);
} else

=> What the hell is this ? c was assigned the same value above, so
we get :
c = MIN(MIN(count, MIN(SERIAL_XMIT_SIZE - info->xmit_cnt - 1,
SERIAL_XMIT_SIZE - info->xmit_head)),
MIN(SERIAL_XMIT_SIZE - info->xmit_cnt - 1,
SERIAL_XMIT_SIZE - info->xmit_head));

I'm not sure this was what the developper originally intented to do,
but although useless, it does not seem incorrect. However, I don't
know if he wanted to further reduce the buffer for any reason.

Also, it appears that nothing prevents any code running outside the
loop from changing info->xmit_buf between the restore_flags() and
the cli(). I don't know if this is functionnaly possible, but at
least it is possible by memory corruption (eg: padding too large
for a packet and writing zeroes past the end of one buffer).

You should definitely add printks or at least double checks
everywhere within this loop I think.

That's all I can tell, I don't know this platform at all.

Regards,
Willy

  Last update: 2006-05-25 08:37    [W:0.051 / U:0.048 seconds]