SubjectRe: How to check if kernel sources are installed on a system?
Lee Revell wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-05-25 at 23:29 +0200, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
>> If you work on drivers (as it seems), please just clean up the code
>> and post it to the kernel mailing list (or subsystem specific lists.)
>> Once it meets the standards, it'll just become a part of the tree,
>> releasing you from the burden to think about its local installation.
> I am fairly certain the drivers in question are closed source.
> "OSS is now free for home/personal use and doesn't have any restrictions
> other than refreshing the software every 4months."
> Lee

Yes we are one and the same Open Sound System guys! :)

It doesn't matter if it's open sound or ALSA!. Lee, why don't you go down the
ALSA user mailing lists and count the number of 0-Compilation bug reports?

The same problems that affect ALSA (Fixed in CVS being the standard answer of
why a sound driver isn't working) affects 4Front's OSS as well.

If you're telling people to compile ALSA downloaded from CVS,
you'd ensure that before they start filing bug reports:

1) people had their kernel source installed
2) kernel sources were "configured" for the running kernel
3) compilers/build utils and other libs would

best regards
Dev Mazumdar
4Front Technologies
4035 Lafayette Place, Unit F, Culver City, CA 90232, USA.
Tel: (310) 202 8530 URL:
Fax: (310) 202 0496 Email: