    SubjectRe: How to check if kernel sources are installed on a system?
    Lee Revell wrote:
    > On Thu, 2006-05-25 at 23:29 +0200, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
    >> If you work on drivers (as it seems), please just clean up the code
    >> and post it to the kernel mailing list (or subsystem specific lists.)
    >> Once it meets the standards, it'll just become a part of the tree,
    >> releasing you from the burden to think about its local installation.
    > I am fairly certain the drivers in question are closed source.
    > "OSS is now free for home/personal use and doesn't have any restrictions
    > other than refreshing the software every 4months."
    > Lee

    Yes we are one and the same Open Sound System guys! :)

    It doesn't matter if it's open sound or ALSA!. Lee, why don't you go down the
    ALSA user mailing lists and count the number of 0-Compilation bug reports?

    The same problems that affect ALSA (Fixed in CVS being the standard answer of
    why a sound driver isn't working) affects 4Front's OSS as well.

    If you're telling people to compile ALSA downloaded from CVS,
    you'd ensure that before they start filing bug reports:

    1) people had their kernel source installed
    2) kernel sources were "configured" for the running kernel
    3) compilers/build utils and other libs would

    best regards
    Dev Mazumdar
    4Front Technologies
    4035 Lafayette Place, Unit F, Culver City, CA 90232, USA.
    Tel: (310) 202 8530 URL:
    Fax: (310) 202 0496 Email:

      Last update: 2006-05-26 00:17    [W:0.022 / U:0.920 seconds]