    SubjectRe: Program to convert core file to executable.
    On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 10:48:31PM +0530, vamsi krishna wrote:
    > Hello All,
    > o I have written the following program to convert a core file to a
    > executable, and tried to execute the converted executable but my
    > system __HANGED__, The kernel did'nt give any messages the complete
    > system was stuck.
    > o Theoretically , the OS loader should jump into the virtual address
    > specified at 'ELF_HDR.e_entry and start executing instructions from
    > that point if the ELF_TYPE is ET_EXEC.
    > o So I wrote a program which
    > changes ELF_TYPE form ET_CORE to ET_EXEC and modifies e_entry to
    > virtual address of the 'main' symbol, since the core file has valid offset
    > to access the PHDRS, and for ET_EXEC the elf loader just need to map
    > the PHDRS at the vaddr specified and start jump to e_entry.

    Look at the program headers. Many of them probably have a file size of
    zero. The code segments from the executable and shared libraries
    aren't present in the core file.

    Of course, the kernel shouldn't crash! It sounds like a bug.

    Daniel Jacobowitz

      Last update: 2006-05-24 19:40    [W:0.022 / U:73.148 seconds]