    SubjectRe: OpenGL-based framebuffer concepts
    On Maw, 2006-05-23 at 10:10 -0400, Kyle Moffett wrote:
    > A GPU which does not support OpenGL at all would look virtually

    No GPU today "supports" OpenGL

    > 2) Client program sends OpenGL commands through kernel framebuffer
    > device.
    > 3) Kernel either passes the OpenGL commands to the GPU or if they
    > were trapped by the software renderer it passes them to that, which
    > can emulate them using more primitive operations.

    You've no idea how a GPU works have you ?

    The process generally goes something like this.

    I build an OpenGL rendering context.
    The supporting library JITs an engine which implements this rendering
    context and pipeline. Only a JIT is really fast enough because there are
    so many tests are otherwise involved.

    Each poly is fired down the JIT engine which produces a mix of
    - AGP command streams
    - GPU bytecodes
    - Polygon breakdowns which go back into the engine
    (eg for clips the chip can't do)
    - Texture loads and swaps

    The GPU view of the universe is far far from the OpenGL one. With the
    possible exception of the big 3D Labs cards anyway.

    Alan

      Last update: 2006-05-23 16:34    [W:0.024 / U:0.220 seconds]