SubjectRe: OpenGL-based framebuffer concepts
Date
On May 23, 2006, at 10:43:53, Alan Cox wrote:
> You've no idea how a GPU works have you ?
>
> [snipped eloquent description of how wrong I was]
>
> The GPU view of the universe is far far from the OpenGL one. With
> the possible exception of the big 3D Labs cards anyway.

Not really, no. My understanding is basically client-only, aside
from looking at the Open Graphics Project prototype rendering model a
bit. As far as I can see from the discussions and models publicly
available they are targeting a certain OpenGL standard for their
card, although I can see I must have misunderstood what that really
means.

So a modern GPU is essentially a proprietary CPU with an obscure
instruction set and lots of specialized texel hardware? Given the
total lack of documentation from either ATI or NVidia about such
cards I'd guess it's impossible for Linux to provide any kind of
reasonable 3d engine for that kind of environment, and it might be
better to target a design like the Open Graphics Project is working
to provide.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

  Last update: 2006-05-23 17:44    [W:0.201 / U:0.472 seconds]