SubjectRe: 2.6.16-rt22/23 kernels hanging after registering IO schedulers

On Fri, 19 May 2006, Mark Knecht wrote:

> Hi Ingo and others,
> It's been quite awhile since I wrote anything here. I have been
> using the 2.6.15-rt kernels for audio work on my AMD64 machine, but I
> haven't written much music lately so the work load has been very low.
> Actually I've found that for light work the standard Gentoo 2.6.16
> kernel without -rt patches has been good enough for my real-time needs
> of late so thanks to all the kernel developers for those more results
> also.
>
> Working quite nicely on my system are:
>
> 2.6.15-rt18

Well this is good to hear.

> 2.6.16-gentoo-r2
>
> Some Gentoo oriented folks created a new 'pro-audio' overlay which
> allows Gentoo users to build both applications and -rt kernels using
> normal portage methods. Here's the link:
>
> http://proaudio.tuxfamily.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Also interesting to know.

> Since the newest -rt kernels are part of the overlay I thought I'd
> give building and booting one a try. At the time the version in the
> overlay was 2.6.16-rt22 so I tried that. Unfortunately the boot
> process hangs immediately after some messages about registering IO
> schedulers.
>
> My method to build 2.6.16-rt22 was to emerge the source from the
> pro-audio overlay, copy the 2.6.15-rt18 .config file, run make
> oldconfig, make menuconfig, make && make modules_install, and then
> copy the kernel source to /boot.
>
> My method to build 2.6.16-rt23 was to download linux-2.6.16, unzip
> and untar, patch it with the -rt23 patch from your site, then again
> use the 2.6.15-rt18 .config file as in the previous paragraph. Same
> results.
>
> I did try changing the default IO Scheduler, as well as leaving a
> few out. I still hang at the same place.
>
> My guess is that it's the step immediately after registering these
> schedulers that's hanging but I no longer have a second computer so I
> cannot do the console thing with the serial cable. Sorry.
>
> Again, no serious problems for me since both 2.6.15-rt18 &
> 2.6.16-gentoo-r2 are working great, but I thought I should at least
> if not, make sure you are aware of the problem.
>
> Here's some very basic info about the hardware

OK, there's been other reports of problems with booting AMD64 with the
latest -rt kernels. I just got home from Germany, and will start testing
on my machine tomorrow. I'll let you know what I find then.

-- Steve

  Last update: 2006-05-21 19:28    [W:0.059 / U:0.248 seconds]