    SubjectRe: Linux Kernel Source Compression
    Chris Wedgwood wrote:

    >On Sun, May 21, 2006 at 08:03:32PM +0100, Alistair John Strachan wrote:
    >>Somebody needs to make lzma userspace tools (like p7zip) faster, not
    >>crash, and behave like a regular UNIX program. Then we need a patch
    >>to GNU tar to emerge, and for it to persist for at least 4
    >>years. Then maybe people will adopt this format..
    >the gains aren't that great

    Exactly, and while I know my network connection isn't exactly
    representative of the general population of people building the kernel,
    it's currently faster for me to download and unpack a .gz than to wait
    the extra time for bzip2 to decompress. I've always found it quicker
    dealing with .gz's for incremental patches. I thought the speed issue is
    more of a speed / compression ratio trade-off, ie a caveat of
    compression in general.

    Mind you, 'git fetch' is even faster, even for people who aren't close
    enough to their mirror to fetch a full .gz kernel tarball in <5s.

      Last update: 2006-05-21 23:45    [W:0.020 / U:5.296 seconds]