SubjectRe: [patch] i386, vdso=[0|1] boot option and /proc/sys/vm/vdso_enabled
Zachary Amsden wrote:
> Andrew Morton wrote:
>> vmm:/home/akpm# echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/vdso_enabled vmm:/home/akpm#
>> vmm:/home/akpm> ls -l
>> zsh: segmentation fault ls -l
>>

>>> That could tell us whether it's an init bug or a glibc bug.
>>>

>> It tells us neither. This could be a new kernel bug which only
>> certain old
>> userspace setups are known to trigger. Until we know exactly why
>> this is
>> occurring, we don't know where the bug is.
>>
>> And once we've worked that thing out, and if we determine that the
>> bug is
>> in userspace then we might be able to craft the patch in such a fashion
>> that the old userspace continues to work, which would be a win.
>>

> Please try my patch - sent earlier, but attached again. It will tell
> you with 100% confidence if the problem is with userspace expecting
> the vsyscall page to be at a particular address.

I should rephrase. 100% confidence - engineer stupidity factor is more
appropriate. I can't guarantee an absolute. But it is my belief that
the only kernel space mapping that could ever have been relied on by
userspace on i386 is the vsyscall page.

Zach

  Last update: 2006-05-20 11:46    [W:0.104 / U:0.216 seconds]