    SubjectRe: [patch 00/14] remap_file_pages protection support
    Ingo Molnar wrote:

    > originally i tested this feature with some minimal amount of RAM
    > simulated by UML 128MB or so. That's just 32 thousand pages, but still
    > the improvement was massive: context-switch times in UML were cut in
    > half or more. Process-creation times improved 10-fold. With this feature
    > included I accidentally (for the first time ever!) confused an UML shell
    > prompt with a real shell prompt. (before that UML was so slow [even in
    > "skas mode"] that you'd immediately notice it by the shell's behavior)

    Cool, thanks for the numbers.

    > the 'have 1 vma instead of 32,000 vmas' thing is a really, really big
    > plus. It makes UML comparable to Xen, in rough terms of basic VM design.
    > Now imagine a somewhat larger setup - 16 GB RAM UML instance with 4
    > million vmas per UML process ... Frankly, without
    > sys_remap_file_pages_prot() the UML design is still somewhat of a toy.

    Yes, I guess I imagined the common case might have been slightly better,
    however with reasonable RAM utilisation, fragmentation means I wouldn't
    be surprised if it does easily get close to that worst theoretical case.

    My request for numbers was more about the Intel/glibc people than Paolo:
    I do realise it is a problem for UML. I just like to see nice numbers :)

    I think UML's really neat, so I'd love to see this get in. I don't see
    any fundamental sticking point, given a few iterations, and some more

    SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.

      Last update: 2006-05-03 00:12    [W:0.024 / U:0.776 seconds]