SubjectRe: Add a "enable" sysfs attribute to the pci devices to allow userspace (Xorg) to enable devices without doing foul direct access
On 5/2/06, Dave Airlie <airlied@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jon stop being so dramatic, this is just like letting userspace map
> the BARs, without ownership through sysfs, which is a good thing, you
> can still map /dev/mem, look we have lots of ways to shoot ourselves
> in the foot, if we *want* to.

So why don't we just build a VGA class driver or make null fbdev
drivers? That solution works and stays in the model of one driver per
device and user space using a device driver to control the hardware.
This is a known problem and we have a valid solution, why build a new
API perpetuating the old model? If there wasn't a workable alternative
available I wouldn't be complaining.

Have you seen this method of getting root from X?
http://www.cansecwest.com/slides06/csw06-duflot.ppt
It is referenced from Theo de Raadt interview on kerneltrap
http://kerneltrap.org/node/6550

I am happy to see progress being made at getting X out of the PCI bus business.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@gmail.com