    SubjectRe: [Patch 0/6] statistics infrastructure
    On 5/20/06, Balbir Singh <> wrote:
    > On 5/19/06, Andrew Morton <> wrote:
    > > Martin Peschke <> wrote:
    > > >
    > > > My patch series is a proposal for a generic implementation of statistics.
    > >
    > > This uses debugfs for the user interface, but the
    > > per-task-delay-accounting-*.patch series from Balbir creates an extensible
    > > netlink-based system for passing instrumentation results back to userspace.
    > >
    > > Can this code be converted to use those netlink interfaces, or is Balbir's
    > > approach unsuitable, or hasn't it even been considered, or what?

    Hi, Martin/Andrew,

    I am resending this email, my mailer got crazy and sent out HTML (sorry!)

    I have seen the patches around, but I've had no time to review them. I
    was planning to do so this weekend.

    The main difference I see, like you pointed out is the netlink
    interface vs debugfs. I think the netlink approach is more suitable
    (there is no need to mount a filesystem and create files followed by
    frequent open/read/close operations). Just one netlink socket should
    do the trick. The event subscription mechanism in netlink is very
    useful as well.

    Martin, could you please take a look at the taskstats interface and
    see if it is possible to make use of them?

      Last update: 2006-05-19 21:04    [W:0.021 / U:16.636 seconds]