SubjectRe: [patch] add input_enable_device()
Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> Yes, you are right. INPUT_DEVICE_ID_MATCH_BUS will not likely
> benefit anyone.
And according to the impression I've got, it should
therefore be removed, sure? :)

> Consider this: pcspkr is broken at the moment as it does not
> handle several simultaneous events well. If you fix it do behave
> properly with SND_TONE and SND_BELL arriving at the same time
> then adding hooks to the speaker code for snd-pcsp should be
> pretty easy. See?
I see the point but not the practicle solution. request_region()
won't work as the ports are already claimed by other drivers.
Resolving this inside pcspkr.c won't help snd-pcsp, as it will
add the dependancy if some internal API is used.
The real problem is that whereever I'll solve that, this will be
a hack, because normally two drivers should not compete for the
IO resourses, disable each other, race etc.
So I give it up. I'll just disable pcspkr in the Kconfig and
whoever wants both snd-pcsp and the beeps, will need to install
the user-space daemon which uses uinput. I have yet to find such
a daemon...

  Last update: 2006-05-18 20:00    [W:0.036 / U:0.424 seconds]