    SubjectRe: Regression seen for patch "sched:dont decrease idle sleep avg"
    On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 18:23 +1000, Con Kolivas wrote:

    > There is a ceiling to the priority beyond which tasks that only ever sleep
    > for very long periods cannot surpass.

    (Hmm. The intent is more clear, ie reserve the top for low latency
    tasks,... but that sounds a bit like xmms protection.)

    The main problem I see with this ceiling, solely from the interactivity
    viewpoint, is that interactive tasks which have started burning cpu
    and/or freshly forked interactive tasks land in the same spot. Thud.c
    demonstrates this problem quite well. You don't want a few copies of
    thud in the same queue with your interactive task, much less above it if
    it's used enough cpu to drop a notch or two. Much pain ensues.

    -Mike

      Last update: 2006-05-17 11:51    [W:3.473 / U:0.012 seconds]