SubjectRe: replacing X Window System !
On 17/05/06, linux cbon <linuxcbon@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> --- Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu a écrit :
> > On Wed, 17 May 2006 13:47:22 +0200, linux cbon said:
> >
> > If it isn't backward compatible, people won't use
> > it. X may suck,
> > but it doesn't suck hard enough that people will
> > abandon all their
> > currently mostly-working software.
>
> If we have a new window system, shall all applications
> be rewritten ?

Unless the new windowing system is 100% backwards compatible with X11, then yes.

> > Actually, you've proved the opposite. Consider if
> > the kernel had *already*
> > included some universal window system (we'll call it
> > W). At that point, you
> > can't easily write an X, Y, or Z if you don't like
> > W. If anything, the
> > *current* W (which happens to be called X11) is
> > *too* friendly with the kernel
> > already - witness all the headaches dealing with DRM
> > and 'enable' attributes
> > and other hoops things have to jump through.
> >
> > If anything, there should be even *less* kernel
> > support for graphics.
> > That way, writing a Y or Z (or improving X) is
> > easier to do without
> > destabilizing the kernel.
>
> My idea is that the kernel should include universal
> graphical support.
> And then we would NOT need ANY window system AT ALL.
> We wouldnt have 2 os (kernel and X) at the same time
> like now.
> It would be faster, simpler, easier to manage etc.

And when the windowing system crashes it'll take the kernel down with it - ouch.

And if I want to run a headless server without a graphical display I
can't simply stop the windowing system I'd have to rebuild a kernel
without the windowing system in it - yuck.

What we have now is a nicely decoupled system - it would be even
better if X was even more decoupled from the kernel, but lets not put
the windowing system in kernel space.

X is not perfect, but it has been around long enough that it has a
huge base of software using it. Throwing that out the window would be
silly.
X also has had networking support since the beginning, and all X apps
can run with remote displays without having to do much (if anything)
themselves to support that - that's a really nice feature.
Modern X can be quite fast with a properly supported graphics card,
and stuff like Xgl has just improved things even more recently.
X has good multihead support - another nice feature.
Graphics drivers for X run (usually/mostly) in userspace - nice, then
they don't destabilize the kernel.
And there's lots of other features as well.

Do you really want to put all that complexity into the kernel?

--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@gmail.com>