    SubjectRe: [RFC] [Patch 7/8] statistics infrastructure - exploitation prerequisite
    Andrew Morton wrote:
    > Martin Peschke <mp3@de.ibm.com> wrote:
    >> need sched_clock for latency statistics
    >
    > sched_clock() probably isn't suitable for this application. It's a
    > scheduler thing and has a number of accuracy problems.
    >
    > But I thought we discussed this last time around? Maybe not.

    I have been too obsessed with the other issues to remember.

    > Maybe you've considered sched_clock()'s drawbacks and you've decided
    > they're all acceptable.

    Admittedly, I didn't, but merely believed the comment above the function.

    http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=114657675408686&w=2
    sheds some light.

    I would be happy to exploit an API that may result from that discussion.
    I would plead for exporting such an API to modules. I don't see how
    to implement statistics for latencies, otherwise.

    Any other hints on how to replace my sched_clock() calls are welcome.
    (I want to measure elapsed times in units that are understandable to
    users without hardware manuals and calculator, such as milliseconds.)

    Martin

      Last update: 2006-05-17 00:38    [W:0.027 / U:184.288 seconds]