SubjectRe: rt20 scheduling latency testcase and failure data
On Fri, 12 May 2006 19:24:53 -0700
Darren Hart <> wrote:

> The test case emulates a periodic thread that wakes up on time%PERIOD=0, so
> rather than sleeping the same amount of time each round, it checks now
> against the start of its next period and sleeps for that length of time.
> Every so often it will miss it's period, I've captured that data and included
> a few of the interesting bits below. The results are from a run with a
> period of 5ms, although I have seen them with periods as high as 17ms. The
> system was under heavy network load for some of the time, but not all.

> I'd appreciate any feedback on the test case, and in particular suggestions on
> how I can go about determining where this lost time is being spent.

There's a multitude of ways how you can misconfigure your -rt system :)
Tell us more about your setup. Hardware? Full preemption? High
resolution timers? Priority setup? From your code i see you run at prio
98. What about the IRQ handlers? And the softirq's, too? Other software?

P.S.: I ran the test a few [20 or so] times and didn't get any failures
of the sort you see. Even with a 1ms period:

~/downloads$ ./sched_latency_lkml
Scheduling Latency
Running 10000 iterations with a period of 1 ms
Expected running time: 10 s
--------- --------- ------------- --------
10000 32 47 0
Start Latency: 305 us: FAIL
Min Latency: 16 us: PASS
Avg Latency: 29 us: PASS
Max Latency: 47 us: PASS
Failed Iterations: 0

~/downloads$ uname -a
Linux mango.fruits 2.6.16-rt20 #4 PREEMPT Wed May 10 12:53:39 CEST 2006 i686 GNU/Linux

Ooops, i must admit i have the nvidia binary only kernel module loaded,
but i suppose this wouldn't make a difference for the better ;)

I got high resolution timers enabled and left the softirq threads at
their defaults.

Palimm Palimm!