    SubjectRe: ata_piix failure on ich6m
    On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 11:16:08AM +0900, Tejun Heo wrote:

    > I'm not very sure but it might be historical. ahci got implemented
    > after ata_piix and in the meantime ata_piix must have handled all it
    > could. Can you verify whether modifying the code to return -ENODEV work
    > for your machine? If so, that could be the correct solution but I'm a
    > bit worried because it could change probing order or fail to enable
    > devices it used to. Maybe we need a hack to return -ENODEV iff ahci is
    > there to handle the device.

    I can verify that just loading ahci before ata_piix is successful, and
    udev will load both of them since the PCI IDs match. So just having
    ata_piix refuse to bind would solve the problem. Unfortunately I can't
    see a way of doing this only if ahci is present if they're modular...

    Matthew Garrett |

      Last update: 2006-05-11 10:14    [W:0.022 / U:3.184 seconds]