    Subjectman-pages-2.30 is released
    Gidday,

    I recently released man-pages-2.30, which can be found at the
    location in the .sig.

    Changes in this release that may be of interest to readers
    of this list include the following:

    New pages
    ---------

    linkat.2
    mtk
    New page describing linkat(), new in kernel 2.6.16

    renameat.2
    mtk
    New page describing renameat(), new in kernel 2.6.16

    symlinkat.2
    mtk
    New page describing symlinkat(), new in kernel 2.6.16

    unlinkat.2
    mtk
    New page describing unlinkat(), new in kernel 2.6.16

    ==========

    The man-pages set contains sections 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7 of
    the manual pages. These sections describe the following:

    2: (Linux) system calls
    3: (libc) library functions
    4: Devices
    5: File formats and protocols
    7: Overview pages, conventions, etc.

    As far as this list is concerned the most relevant parts are:
    all of sections 2 and 4, which describe kernel-userland interfaces;
    in section 5, the proc(5) manual page, which attempts (it's always
    catching up) to be a comprehensive description of /proc; and
    various pages in section 7, some of which are overview pages of
    kernel features (e.g., networking protocols).

    If you make a change to a kernel-userland interface, or observe
    a discrepancy between the manual pages and reality, would you
    please send me (at mtk-manpages@gmx.net ) one of the following
    (in decreasing order of preference):

    1. An in-line "diff -u" patch with text changes for the
    corresponding manual page. (The most up-to-date version
    of the manual pages can always be found at
    ftp://ftp.win.tue.nl/pub/linux-local/manpages or
    ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/docs/manpages .)

    2. Some raw text describing the changes, which I can then
    integrate into the appropriate manual page.

    3. A message alerting me that some part of the manual pages
    does not correspond to reality. Eventually, I will try to
    remedy the situation.

    Obviously, as we get further down this list, more of my time
    is required, and things may go slower, especially when the
    changes concern some part of the kernel that I am ignorant
    about and I can't find someone to assist.

    Cheers,

    Michael

    --
    Michael Kerrisk
    maintainer of Linux man pages Sections 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7

    Want to help with man page maintenance?
    Grab the latest tarball at
    ftp://ftp.win.tue.nl/pub/linux-local/manpages/,
    read the HOWTOHELP file and grep the source
    files for 'FIXME'.

      Last update: 2006-05-01 13:06    [W:0.025 / U:30.604 seconds]