    SubjectRe: menuconfig search (Re: [rfc] fix Kconfig, hotplug_cpu is needed for swsusp)
    On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 10:42:46 +0200 (MEST) Jan Engelhardt wrote:

    > >> I find it very confusing to use, since it returns too verbose text to skim
    > >> through. Probably the search function should be split into "only search
    > >> titles[*]" and "search description too".
    > >
    > >Re verbosity: do you know that menuconfig search (/) takes regular
    > >expressions?
    >
    > Regexes are not mentioned in the "Help" menu.

    It is mentioned in the Help text after one enters '/'.

    │ Search for CONFIG_ symbols and display their relations. │
    │ Regular expressions are allowed. │
    │ Example: search for "^FOO" │

    > >That could help someone limit the amount of output
    > >from it.
    > >Can you give an example of being too verbose?
    >
    > / UNIX
    > Symbol: UNIX [=y]
    > Prompt: Unix domain sockets
    > Defined at net/unix/Kconfig:5
    > Depends on: NET
    > Location:
    > -> Networking
    > -> Networking support (NET [=y])
    > -> Networking options
    >
    > Symbol: UNIXWARE_DISKSLICES ...
    >

    > What would be more useful:
    > UNIX
    > Unix domain sockets
    > Networking > Networking Support > Networking options
    >
    > UNIXWARE_DISKSLICES
    > Unixware slices support
    > File systems > Advanced ...
    >
    > I.e. strip the Defined and Depends lines and crunch the Location lines inasfar
    > as that the full width of the window is used (break at col 70).

    I don't see any need to limit it to 70 columns wide. It knows how to
    scroll left/right (using arrow keys).

    > DEEP_FS
    > Just a symbol
    > File systems > Advanced filesystems > Very advanced filesystems >\n
    > Extremely advanced filesystems > Deep filesystem
    >

    > >I have just modified menuconfig search to make displaying the
    > >Selects: and Selected by: output be an option (actually it's a
    > >different search command (\) to not see those lines.
    > >Would that help any regarding verbosity?
    >
    > At the moment, entering e.g. UNIX in both the / and \ menus return the very
    > same output. Bug?
    >
    > The \ should include everything what the original / had, plus the symbol
    > description ("Say Y here if ....").

    Nope, the only thing that the "reduced" search excludes atm is SELECT info.
    From my original email, as you quoted above, the less-verbose '\' search
    only eliminates the Selects: and Selected by: output, and the UNIX
    config symbols don't have any SELECT info.

    I don't know if we are converging any, but I made a new patch:
    http://www.xenotime.net/linux/patches/menuconfig-search2b.patch

    This one changes the default '/' search to NOT be verbose and the
    new, extended '\' search to be verbose. The non-verbose search omits
    Selects:, Selected by:, and Location: information.

    ---
    ~Randy

      Last update: 2006-04-09 04:35    [W:0.028 / U:149.732 seconds]