SubjectRe: RT task scheduling
From
On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 08:25:04PM -0700, Darren Hart wrote:
> Part of the issue here is to define what we consider "correct behavior" for
> SCHED_FIFO realtime tasks. Do we (A) need to strive for "strict realtime
> priority scheduling" where the NR_CPUS highest priority runnable SCHED_FIFO
> tasks are _always_ running? Or do we (B) take the best effort approach with
> an upper limit RT priority imbalances, where an imbalance may occur (say at
> wakeup or exit) but will be remedied within 1 tick. The smpnice patches
> improve load balancing, but don't provide (A).

I regret getting into this discussion late, but it should always be (A)
if you're building a kernel for strict RT usage. (B) is for a system that's
more general purpose. It's not a "one policy fits all" kind of problem.

The search costs of (A) could be be significant and may degrade system
performance. Optimizations for that case is for another discussion.

bill

  Last update: 2006-04-07 11:26    [W:0.148 / U:0.404 seconds]