    SubjectRe: RT task scheduling

    * Bill Huey <> wrote:

    > On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 09:11:25AM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > > * Bill Huey <> wrote:

    > > > You should consider for a moment to allow for the binding of a thread
    > > > to a CPU to determine the behavior of a SCHED_FIFO class task instead
    > > > of creating a new run category. [...]
    > >
    > > That is already possible and has been possible for years.
    > I know that this is already the case. What I'm saying is that the
    > creation of new globally scheduled run case isn't necessarly if you
    > have a robust thread to CPU binding mechanism, [...]

    -ENOPARSE. CPU binding brings with itself obvious disadvantages that
    some applications are not ready to pay. CPU binding restricts the
    scheduler from achieving best resource utilization. That may be fine for
    some applications, but is not good enough for a good number of
    applications. So in no way can any 'CPU binding mechanism' (which
    already exists in multiple forms) replace the need and desire for a
    globally scheduled class of RT tasks.

    > [...] the key here is "robust". [...]

    -ENOPARSE. CPU binding is CPU binding. Could you outline an example of a
    "non-robust" CPU binding solution?

      Last update: 2006-04-07 11:25    [W:0.022 / U:3.072 seconds]