SubjectRE: 2.6.17-rc1-mm1: why did acpi_ns_build_external_path() become global?
This interface is public now because it is used in common/dsrestag.c

This is the problem as I see it:

We have a continuing issue where we have a bunch of ACPI components
(interpreter, table manager, resource manager, etc.) Depending on how
the pieces are put together, various sub-parts of the components are
used or not used, depending on the application. The kernel-level code is
integrated into many different operating systems. Each OS used a
different subset of the available external interfaces. Further, each of
the user-level applications (iASL compiler, AcpiExec utility, etc.) use
different interfaces.

In this case, it is the iASL compiler that is using build_external_path.

We could certainly go so far as to put each public interface into a
separate file, allowing each application (and host OS) to pick and
choose the exact interfaces it needs (and I have seen it done this
way.), but this leads to a huge number of small files and I'm not sure
we want this.

However, attempting to track all of this with extensive #ifdefs, etc. is
awkward and ugly at best and very difficult to maintain.

I'm open to suggestions.

Bob